PPA Announces New Interim CEO
At its Board of Directors meeting in Milton, FL, the Professional Paddlesports Association (PPA) announced that long-time industry veteran, Debi Whitmire will serve as the new PPA Interim CEO.
Debi has 35 plus years working in the outdoor recreation industry and has achieved national recognition as a successful business woman in the paddlesport industry. After 20 years at the helm of Headwaters Outfitters on the French Broad River in Transylvania County, NC, which was recognized as the 2010 “Business of the Year” by the Brevard Chamber of Commerce, Debi has now shifted focus on growing the entire paddlesport industry.
Her dedication to paddlesport, her community, and the environment is evident through her service:
- Board of Directors Blue Ridge Mountain Host
- Board of Directors for Riverlink
- Served on the Presidents Commission on Outdoor Recreation
- Transylvania County Recreation Advisory Board
- Board Member of Brevard Chamber of Commerce
- Transylvania Outdoor Recreation Task Force
- President & founding member of the NC Professional Paddlesports Association
- Friend of the River Award winner from the French Broad River Foundation
In addition, she was instrumental in the creation of “Paddle NC”, a brochure which has been widely distributed through NC Department of Travel & Tourism.
“Debi has been involved, in one capacity or another, with the PPA for 20 years and we are excited to have someone with Debi’s background and commitment step in to lead the organization. After just having completed a successful National School for Paddlesport Business, we are now looking ahead to serve our members throughout 2012.” – Don Roberts, Chairman, PPA Board of Directors